Saturday 14 July 2018

The Musical Journey (Chithirai Thiruvizha)

A measure to bridge the gap between me and music!

We overcome a lot during the day, and love to pen them in our diary. There are some instances which we wish to expose on the internet. I had one such happening in the recent time.

Chithirai Thiruvizha, the event conducted by Sai Fine Arts, Nanganallur to felicitate the budding musicians who have qualified the annual examination.

The event happened on 7th July 2018 with the graceful presence of Mrs. Kanthalakshmi Chandramouli, Writer and Journalist; Kavinaya Chelvar Mannai Pasanthi; and Mr. Sathaya Ganesh, the correspondent, and principal of Karpaga Vigneshwara Vidhyalaya.

Guru Shri Nellai M Vinayaga Moorthy, the young energetic tutor at Sai Fine Arts scheduled a vocal concert to be performed at the beginning of the ceremony. Delighted that I was part of the team.

It has been one and half years since I had been practicing Veena and Vocal under the guidance of the gurus at the Sai Fine Arts. I believe music fall under the same ambit of academics. There are so much to learn, practice and tap creativity. I had been wondering at the skills obtained by the co-students, mostly in the ninth and tenth grade of school whom I proudly address as my seniors in music. I and my sibling were associated with such talented performers for the vocal concert. Though the kid in them seemed visible, they outperformed.

I remember the practice sessions began in the second week of June. Songs were challenging, especially the Krithis. I remember each day we were taught a new Krithi by our Guru, I would look at my sister with that ‘CAN I?’ feel. She acknowledges with a smile each time I do that. I recollect recording the songs sung by Guru Shri Nellai M Vinayaga Moorthy, and the Sai Sisters (daughters of the Guru, awarded with the Sangeetha Yuva Sarathi title). They never denied to help us when we were struck at something during the practice sessions.

Sometimes, we always need that minimal percentage of fear which pulls us to practice better and perform better. I go by it.

Every day after work, we gathered, learned, practiced and practiced. The practices equipped the skills and helped confidence balance the fear. I recognized that the energy during those sessions never lessened, rather it increased day after day. It was solely possible because of the ideal Guru who kept endlessly, teaching, correcting, advising, encouraging, motivating and grooming us.

The bhajans were given equal importance like that of the Krithis and I recollect the kids, probably below the age of ten, actively participating.

The learnings were THE HUGE. I realize that there are so much in music that demands a lifetime and beyond to master the art. Once again, this concert has helped us get understand the nuances in music. I witnessed many passionate students rewarded for qualifying the musical grade exams. Numerous awards and titles were given including the Guru S P Sivasubramania Bhagavathar award. 

A word of gratitude, from us as disciples, seem ‘no equal’ to the efforts put by the Gurus at the Sai Fine Arts. The desire to learn more never ends.

Aspiring to bridge the gap between me and music with the teachings and guidance of Guru Shri Nellai M Vinayaga Moorthy, Guru Shrimathi V Thanga Selvi, Guru Shri A Vishwamithran and the budding musicians in line with practice.



No comments:

Post a Comment